Wednesday 2 January 2013

Concert review: Morrissey

Enmore Theatre, Friday 21 December 2012
Sydney Opera House, Saturday 22 December 2012

Schnitzel: It's not often that you go to see a show and walk out stunned into near silence by what you have just seen (and I say nearly, because come on, the post-gig debrief is compulsory). It's also not often that you are routinely turning to your fellow revelers during the course of the gig and screaming with joy as your hear the opening notes of a song you really didn't expect to hear. But that's exactly how we were both feeling after seeing Morrissey just before Christmas.

Moose: He was alright, I suppose!

Schnitzel: You loved it, and more so because you got to see him twice - Friday at the Enmore and Saturday at the Sydney Opera House! Honestly, I'm still buzzing from Saturday's performance. The man is 53 and he sounds the same as he did on the Smith's first single 'Hand in glove' from back in 1983. His band was tight and right on the money in terms of their performance, Morrissey himself was that classic mix of self-deprecating and witty, and his voice is an absolute powerhouse, made for venues like he Opera House. The opening three song salvo of 'Every day is like Sunday', 'Shoplifters of the world unite' and 'You're the one for me, Fatty' was amazing, 'I know it's over' and 'Irish blood, English heart' nearly brought the house down and 'How soon is now' was the perfect encore. How did Saturday's show compare to Friday's?

Moose: Well, we burst in just as the lights went down for Moz and got a nice position down the front. After a lengthy synth and swirling spotlights opening sequence the man himself opened the show with the Smiths' ‘Shoplifters of the world’. The set was full of wonderful moments; including 'Speedway' and 'Still ill'. The big difference between the two shows were a few additions at the beginning of Saturday's set in place of the Enmore set closers 'Sweet and tender hooligan' and 'First of the gang to die' which ended things with a bang. To me the Opera House show was more of an event, as we were sitting further away and the show seemed gigantic (in a spectacle sort of way) where as the Enmore show felt a little more like a traditional gig - but this may have been due to General Admission standing tickets and our proximity to Moz… not that we spent much time in our seats the next night at the Opera House.

Schnitzel: Very true. I actually don't have a single bad thing to say about the Opera House gig - except that they ran out of 'Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me' pillowcases before I could buy one and that we weren't allowed to take our wine into the concert hall. I'm not really one for bucket lists, but as far as must-see gigs go, this was one of the big ones. I give it 4.5 out of 5 gladioli.

Moose:  Good Job. Highlights from both – 'Shoplifters of the world', ’First of the gang to die’, 'How soon is now', 'Sweet and tender hooligan', 'You’re the one for me, Fatty', 'Please, please, please let me get what I want' and 'I know it’s over'. 4/5 stars, only because it’s not Paul McCartney (my last remaining bucket list artist, although I must say Moz’s voice is in much better condition these days). It was all great, and this Moose even got a mention in the local paper for some heckling (which, Dear Reader, I rarely do).


SCHNITZEL AND THE MOOSE

No comments:

Post a Comment